Monday, July 8, 2013

before the matsuri! dance walk


Just after the rainy season
and its the Summer Festival season in Japan!
There is an expression in Japanese that says `ato no
matsuri`.
(translation:  `after the festival`)
It means something like `after the fact`, or `too late`...
I took a spin on the expression and wanted to see what happens
`Before the festival`...
When the booths are setting up, the crowds have not yet set in,
and the streets are like a stage set ready for anything to take place.

I also like the idea that during the summer festival, the gods from the shrines are let out and paraded around the streets on an `omikoshi` or ` portable shrine`.  It is a time when a lot of wild energy is let loose and a perfect time for... a dance walk!

Please enjoy this `Before the Matsuri` (before the festival) dance walk!
Thank you Shintaro, for the filming and for holding on tight to the camera when I come into a little danger at the end of the last scene!

Happy Summer Days!
Let the god and goddess in your heart come out to play!!
ai kawarazu
jgy

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Reminds me of when my son and I arrived "too" early for a New Year's Eve festival in Nagasaki! I esp. liked the editing at the end of your video.

jgy said...

Hi Teresa,
Thanks! So you know the early mood of the festival streets!
Maybe we can make a new expression!
I like the `expectation` in the air...

thanks for noticing the editing this time too, actually I thought of you when finalizing the video and thought hmmm. perhaps I should do more editing through out and splice in other festival scenes... but I ended up leaving it just as a surprise at the end.
Still want to edit more on the videos as I sense they must be long for viewers, thank you for watching to the end!
I am always grateful for your feedback!! Happy summer days to you!♡

:) said...

I like these "full of joy" moments :)

ibb said...

Too hot here...cannot sleep, just stay without moving....love to see you move!

jgy said...

Thank you :) and ibb for stopping by and for watching!
Looking for a cool breeze here too, and for something cool for you!

love from hot summer Oita days!

Blog Archive