Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Corner View--Bygones that Live On




I took a photo of the ume (plum) tree in bloom.
Full bloom flowers that will be `gone` by next time I am here.
That would be my `by gone` post for today I thought.
But then I put the camera on the wood floor and started backing up.  An elegant light came into play and I snapped away.
As more of the wood floor showed through,
I knew
there was another bygone story to tell...

The wood floor and the garden with the ume tree are in the ko-min-kan  (community centre) where I teach my yoga dance classes.  The community centre was a gift to our neighbourhood from a woman who used to have her house on this site.  Her name is Kono-san.  I never knew her though, until she passed away and bequeathed a community centre to be built where her house was.

Her wish was to keep the ume tree and rocks from her Japanese garden, so the community centre was designed to her wishes with three main spaces that centre around the garden--the large room with the wood floor (pictured abstractly in the photos above, this is the room I rent for yoga dance), a smaller tatami room, and a community space with a small kitchen.

She is gone but her spirit carries on through her generous and beautiful gift to the community.  And perhaps she returns with the pink and white ume flowers that come into blossom every February.

PS it`s a wonderful space.  Please come join me Friday morning for yoga dance there!

Happy Corner View!... Thank you Francesca for hosting, Jane for founding, and Nicki for the theme.…this weeks theme is bygones.
ai♡ kawarazu
jgy

14 comments:

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

thank you for showing me the ume tree, of which i use the paste in the kitchen! now i have a visual on the plums, and the blossoms, and the tree.

i like your thoughts process on today's theme. bygones are bygones if we want them to be. in our ♥ it's forever. n♥
i salute thee.

likeschocolate said...

What a wonderful gift she gave the community! Wishing you a wonderful week!

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Beautiful!

Susi-Art said...

what a beautiful tree is the ume tree....sometimes at facebook people show photo's fields filled with this tree in blossom, and when the blossom time has passed thinking back of it can only bring a smile!

simply bev said...

What a wonderful gift that she left to your community. She continues to be a presence there and I'm sure that people think of her every time the tree blooms!

Heather said...

Beautiful tree and beautiful story!

Menthe Blanche said...

How generous ... this tree and garden are fantastic memories of this lady.

Tomoko said...

Your pretty ume flowers are opening earlier than ours here!

大分は温かいのでしょうか。やはり早く梅の花が開くのですね。
Thank your for visiting!

Tomoko said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa said...

Plum blossoms are so gorgeous.

Bonnie said...

What a wonderfully kind gesture by Kono-san. The ume tree is stunning!

Nicki said...

I like how the new site is gathered around the one remnant of the old.

It's bygones, and yet it is not.

Must be heaven to have those flowers so near where you are dancing or meditating.

Nicki

kat said...

Oh, so moving story!
And I do like the the pictures because the compositions are intriguing!

Francesca said...

beautiful story! I like how the tree in the center roots the community space into its history.

Blog Archive